Originally Posted By: Todd3138
 Originally Posted By: esshup
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
When an agressive rooted plant like sago gets off to a quick start, it will literally consume all of the nutrients. What does this do to the single celled algae?

No food = you die. So you're saying that a more complex organism such as sago as compared to single celled algea is more effecient and better at utilizing nutrients, or are you saying that there are more nutrients in the pond substrate vs. dissolved in the water?

I'm catching up here, folks - looks like a handful of posts occurred while I was away from my computer. Esshup, I am taking this to be exactly what Bruce is saying if I am correctly understanding the line of questions here. The nutrients would be largely contained in the soil/substrate and would really foster good growth of the Sago. The nutrients still in the water, because there would have to be some still there, are probably also getting used up by the plants as they flourish.

I think there's a slight overemphasis on the importance of nutrients to start the bloom. There are always enough nutrients in this part of the country. Some of you folks live in areas where the BOW's are chronically deficient, but not here. It's really all about who gets the sun first! Why can't you grow bluegrass in a pine forest? (rhetorical question)

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 02/15/10 11:59 AM.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.