The pond was in its 2nd season when i stocked them. first year was awful with green crap all over the surface each time i fertilized. that was my reason for stocking.

Here are the observations of the tilapia in my 3/4 acre pond:

i didnt have as much trouble with the green stuff after the tilapia.

the only young tilapia i saw were about 3/4" long, i guess they were being eaten as soon as they were hatched.

they ate pellet fish food like hogs!!

i was able to catch them on artificial jigs which made me worry that they were eating young bg.

my bass are skinny as a rail. didnt see any benefits for the bass, but seemed like the bg were growing super. maybe that was because the bg were eating the young tilapia? or the aquamax pellets.

the big dissapointment for me was that i was told at the end of the year i was going to be able to scoop up all of these slow swimming fish and have a great big fish fry..didnt happen!!! a day or 2 after the water got really cold, we had an exceptionally warm day, the water coming in the upper end was warmer and i was able to net about 6 or 7. the rest sunk and died i guess..since then i have seen a few floating dead.

with all this said, i might do it again if it is convenient for me to get some early in the spring. the only reason i would is because i am afraid that i may have green floating stuff troubles again...

Scott Hanners