Frog, I've not found that to be true in my area of North Texas. The creeks seem to be full of GSF without a lot of bluegills and no RES.

In man made ponds they are usually introduced by man, mostly by hatchery mistakes. I had a bunch of them in one pond but over time, the bluegills just outspawned them and predation pretty well took care of the rest. At first, I bought into the bad GSF mantra and tossed them on the bank. Then I started noticing bent hooks and good fight and started liking them. Being more cylindrical than a BG, the bass seem to prefer them (I guess).

They seldom last more than 5 years in ponds around here.

A couple of years ago, the creek on my place got to my forage pond and I wound up with some GSF. When I seine, I don't sort them out. I've never found them to be a problem.

But, we are in vastly different regions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP