Greg, I've secured permission to stock the shallow pond with fatheads for summer spawning production and so I'm kind'a keyed up about it.

The pond is probably 1/3rd to 1/2 acre in size, and varies to depths of about 1 to 3 feet. I'm sure of this because I went frog gigging on it with a small boat and was pushing myself around with an oar by touching the bottom. Incidently, it was LOADED with frogs. I'm sure it contains no fish as our winters here in Ohio probably freeze it solid (especialy THIS winter), not to mention the low oxygen levels.

I've done some reading on spawning fatheads and understand that providing structure for them to lay eggs under (like floating boards) can be helpful. I may consider this but the pond has a lot of brush and logs around the banks which hang into the water and should prove suitable. However, I'd be open to ideas for spawning structure.

Now the big questions: First, how many pounds of fatheads should I throw in this spring in the hopes of thousands by late summer? Also, exactly how many fatheads are in a pound as I might have to buy them at a bait shop instead of a dealer. Finaly, can you be more specific about golden shiners. Will they feed heavily on the fatheads or can I expect large numbers of fatheads regardless of predation? I'm guessing golden shiners are a bit less hardy and might not thrive in a swampy pond like this, but if they won't hurt my fathead production that much then I'd be willing to stock them with the fatheads. Stocking numbers? Thanks again.