Just a thought .. My neighbor 500yds away from my house & apx 250 yds from my pond put in a dusk to dawn mercury vapor light that is southwest of me. It comes on just at sunset. Ruins the beautiful sunsets we used to enjoy over our pond.
I like having a light when it's needed but like it dark when it's suppose to be dark. Now I have no choice in the matter. My pond is lighted somewhat whether I like it or not.
Personally I don't think they add security unless the entire area is lighted enough to eliminate shadows. IMO they give just enough light to give someone unfamiliar with the area the ability to move in the shadows without bumping into something & making noise.
I have a 150w HPS light 30' up on the end of my house overlooking the basement. It's been there 20+ yrs & used frequently when working at night. I like the light they give off but be warned HPS will distort some colors esp. red if that's important.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric