I have a 3 year old pond, all clay, completely escavated and fish have been in for 2.5 years now. I have BG, RES and HBG in there in good numbers bu tit seems like I catch very few, if any fish that are not from the original stocking. In fact i have only caught 2 RES and only a dozen or so true BG's this year while catching hundreds of the HBG's ( only 100 were stocked so they are obviously doing VERY well) and I noticed this year only 3-4 beds and all were on my highly used sandy beach and never eally saw any quality beds along the edges anywhere else on the pond. My question is if I shoveled a bunch of pea gravel/Sandy 9's/or even Sand around in my shallower areas, do you think that would help attract and make it easier to make beds in the areas that should be holding beds but doesnt?? There is only a 1/4" or so of sediment over the hard packed clay bottom and I wondered if that had something to do with the low numbers of spawners??

Any other ideas to help increase the spawning areas/number of beds in the pond?? I was counting on a boatload of BG's by now to feed my, getting larger all the time, HSB and CC but they just do not seem to be there. I am hoping over the ice season Ill be able to find some YOY YP also, but it doesn't look good for them either, ( I got a bunch of ceder trees submerged for them) but I still havent seen any YOY YP yet and this should have been their second year of spawning also, every YP I catch is 10-13", Thats another thread I suppose....

Salmonid

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 12/21/09 03:38 PM. Reason: boatloading accident

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES