Ben,

If you're interested in having a trout pond you need to determine your highest pond temps in summer. Not just surface temps but even if you surface temps get too warm in late summer you may still have cool enough temps and enough oxygen in later summer to support trout in your part of the country. I do know there are some open trout ponds in your area as it usually stays cooler than other parts of the country, and has some limnologically unique features. You stream depending on how cool it stays may keep your temps down long enough until your water cools back down in fall. I do find it hard to believe though that the stream has no resident fish in it.

If you don't want to wait that long and don't have the monitoring equipment, and your pond may be just on the edge (marginal for trout) you could plant some and see if they make it. They really are not that expensive.

If you P.M. me with your mailing address I'd be glad to send you an old publication your state Fish & Wildlife put together on having a trout pond and/or alternative species in your state. It's pretty good actually with lots of illustrations.

As far as tiger trout I'd be really surprised if you could get your hands on them or even order eggs in your part of the country that your state will allow you to import due to pesky health inspections standards. I have enough trouble accessing them in my part of the country because no one in my region produces them or does the adequate health testing to export them.

Personally i don't see what the big deal is with tiger trout but I get requests for them. I'll take the beauty of a male brook trout in full spawning colors any day.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/25/09 09:46 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.