Walt:

I feel your pain. I played with the cheaper feeders (directional ones tho) for 2 years before I broke down and bought 2 ADF75's. They've worked very well for me, no timer problems. With the fan set on high, the first pellets hit the water about 6' from the feeder that is closest to the water. That one is set at the edge of the pier, about 18" above the water level. It's throwing AquaMax600 sized pellets. It'll throw the pellets out about 40' with a max width at the furthest point of roughly 15'. The other one that I have at the pond at the house is currently feeding Aquamax 500, and it throws about the same max distance,about 5' more in width and the first pellets hit the water about 3' from the feeder. That feeder is set on a platform that's roughly 6' above current water level.

I finally gave up on the less expensive ones because once I finally figured out a way to keep 99% of the 'coons from damaging it, I couldn't get 1/8" sized pellets and it wouldn't feed 1/4" sized pellets, they bridged across the opening at the bottom of the hopper.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).