Brian:

I can answer some of the questions, but not all, I'm a rookie with aeration systems. If you will run the aerator in the winter, you should have the diffuser at about 1/3 the max depth of the pond. i.e. a 15' deep pond, set the diffuser 5' down. That way you won't super cool the water during the winter, which the fish won't like at all. After ice off, either move the diffuser to the deepest part of the pond, or use a different diffuser for the deeper water and "T" it into the line with a shut-off. That's the way I'm setting up my system. I'll shut off the deeper diffuser during the winter.

You can run the air line out to the pond, and it doesn't have to be buried. I ran mine right on top of the ground and into the pond and it never froze, but I ran the diffuser 100% of the time during the winter. As for the correct wire size, I can't give you an exact answer because electricity isn't my strong point. But, if the aerator is the only thing running, I think 10ga would do.

When running air line in the pond, I made the mistake of not using self-weighted air line the first time. I ended up buying the thick walled, self weighted stuff from Ted. You can run the unweighted air line above ground if you want a cheap way to get air to the pond without running electricity, then splice it to the weighted line right before the line enters the water.

p.s. Rainman types faster than I do as well!

Last edited by esshup; 09/07/09 10:12 AM. Reason: p.s.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).