In an earlier post on the "Selecting a site" forum I described the 1-acre bluegill/bass pond I am constructing. The plan was to have the depth drop immediately to about two feet, slope to about 3 feet over the next 10 feet, and then drop again quickly to about 6 feet and to 8-9 feet in the deepest area. I'm thinking about changing this to add some more structure on the west side of the pond, where the contractor has not yet finished digging. That section is shown here, looking across from the east side.

My wife and my dog are just beyond the water line near the base of the tree.

Another view of the same area looking back east from behind the tree illustrates what I am thinking about doing. The water line is in light blue, and the existing ledge at about three feet is in magenta.

What I have in mind is to dig out a deeper area in the middle, leaving a shallow underwater peninsula on the left and an island on the right. This would give a deep channel that runs near the shallow areas and passes close to the bank in front of the tree and to the deepest area near the dam. This would be partly to give a deeper diving area near the bank, but I am wondering if this structure would also be beneficial for habitat.
Another view of the same area from the north is here:

My son also suggested adding a narrow deeper channel where the original creek bed was. And we plan to add some other structure after the contractor finishes his work.

I wish I had found this forum before we ever started, but I guess making changes would be better now than later. Any suggestions on either the overall plan or the changes I am considering would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie