Here is my input for what it is worth:
Is it desirable? As Bksi point out IMHO it is but in this case the pitch is to flat and I would have personally done something different. But again to each his own. I design homes for the customer not myself although I do try and push my taste but in the end it is their home not mine.

Is it really expensive? Yes standing seem is very nice but the price reflects this. This is the reason Eddie and I gave Bski flack when he presented a economic shop apartment design and states he is going with standing seam roofing. The word econ and standing seam are contrary to each other. Another option that replicates standing seem is AP panel. I have it on my home it is a product of Meullers. It looks like standing seem but has exposed screws like R & U panel. However it does require decking were as R&U do not.

Is the stone real or faux, and which is better/smarter to get?

I say it is faux. I personally like both real and faux stone. Most of the good faux looks so real most people can't tell the difference. You have to thump it to tell. The advantage of faux over real stone is that is light weight and does not require any real structural foundation to support it. Cecil has posted a good example of this. You would never see a second story fire place with real stone laid on top of a wood deck. I believe the cost is fairly close between real stone and faux. The faux cost more in material and less in labor to install were as real sone is cheaper in material and cost more in labor to install

Although you didn't ask I think it is fake cedar siding too. We discussed this in the Human Hab thread. Victor presented a fine example of stain concrete board which I was very impressed with. However when it comes to wood siding (again IMHO) nothing can replace the look of the real mccoy. Now some would say reason for using the fake stuff over real is less maintance. If you have to paint it or stain it it is still going to need refurbishment same as if you use real cedar and wish to keep it natural color instead of letting it weather. Another reason for concrete board over the real deal is cost althow if you are going to buy it stained I'm not sure how much cheaper it is as compared to real cedar siding.

Last edited by rockytopper; 08/14/09 12:35 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................