I haven't killed a deer with my .222 but I know a few people who have and I just read the current regs and can't see where it says the round is illegal in PA for deer either, the reg states lawful arms and ammunition to include "Manually operated centerfire rifles and handguns with all lead bullets or ball, or bullet designed to expand on impact". doesn't rule out even a 22 hornet from that, where did you ever hear it was illegal in PA CJ?? I know elk require .27 cal or better and muzzle loaders are .44 cal or larger??

I don't shoot many groups at 200 yards so I don't know what my rifle will do, but I have shot 33 rounds and killed 33 woodchucks in a one week period a few summers back. Just last week, Tuesday night in fact, I shot 9 chucks with eleven rounds in a 25 minute hunt, ranges vary from 10 to 200 yards, if you had a fishing lure that effective no one would want to fish with you, bank on that, and yes I hunt woodchucks alone.

I will maintain that the .22 cal is a better chuck round than the .17 for my style of "thumpin".