Using an track hoe, the clay was removed from the bottom trench and spread on the sides, all the way up to the future high water level. A sheep's foot roller would be best. I used what I had to pack material, which is a Kubota M7040, with cab, FEL and a 6' box blade on the back. Yes, I drove down and back up every inch of the small pond. The clay on the downhill side is about 10" thick. I packed it, twice, in a 6" and then about a 4" lift. The rest of the pond has clay packed about 6" thick.
I got to where I could use only the hydraulic shuttle lever, instead of the clutch, which made things much easier. It would be impractical to do this pressing a clutch pedal from forward to reverse, every 20'. It would be very time consuming on a larger pond, but, in my case, time is more available, than money, right now.
What counts is that the pond is holding water, very well. I also now feel much more comfortable with my cab tractor's slope capabilties. I only had to swallow repeatedly to get my stomach to go back down a time or two. ;\)

I'll post some pix, after I get the rest of the shoreline done and finish building up over the primary drain.

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.