This site is great. Everybody here knows alot about ponds. I tried to search some to answer my questions but most answers are already over my head. I'm very new to ponds and land owning.

I recently bouth 6 acres in Walker, Louisiana which is just East of Baton Rouge, LA and about 60miles NW of New Orleans, LA.

I plan to build a pond 50' wide by 550'-650' long. It will be long narrow. I do not know what depth to dig it at or what I should make the shoreline look like. Should it be straight or have a wavy shoreline?

I also have questions about aeration. Will I need it? Whats the best way? I don't really want a fountain spraying water in the middle, maybe something like a water pump sucking in water and spitting it back out.

My original plan was to put a bridge across the middle of the pond. On that bridge I would put two water pumps both spitting water in oppisite directions on opposite sides of the bridge. Maybe this would get some flow going.

The dirt is clay after about 3" - 12" of topsoil so I'd assume that that would have no problem retaining water.

I don't know what types of fish I'd like. I would suppose I would be limited to a certain type due to the size and shape.

Any help would be appreciated.