Walt, first I never advised cougar to wait a year to stock the bass and second, I am well aware of the fecundity of BG and their ability to stunt rather quickly. I've been managing ponds for just a couple years and studied wildlife and fisheries science in college, so I have a slight grasp on the biology of bluegill. Sometimes personal observations are very helpful, but relying on anecdotal observations solely can lead you down the wrong path. Fisheries management is very complex!

There is no clean cut answer, but southern and northern stocking ratios and timings vary. As do the ratio and timing vary for the goal of the pond owner. Also, the size of each species stocked can play a huge role in when they are stocked. Larger bass can be stocked later than smaller bass. The same is true with BG, smaller BG may take a full year before they spawn, so waiting a YEAR may be prudent. That is why it is important to advise not only a stocking rate and timing, but also the size fish to stock. There are many variables...

Personally I think too many BG are stocked in ratio to bass more times than not and BG are given too big a jump start on the bass. Particularly those looking for a balanced pond. Many more northern pond owners look at the advice given to a southern pond owner and think that advice will work for them and it leads to problems.

In the end, the management of a BG/LMB pond is not easy particularly one that is a balance as opposed to growing trophy sunfish or bass.