Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Chadsnider, Kevin Matney, Rudly68, CDB, B BUG
18,570 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,072
Posts559,205
Members18,570
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,676
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,172
Who's Online Now
2 members (liquidsquid, Brev), 302 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
That looks great ,If you are ever looking for something to do call me.

OTTO

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

I will say that the Ryobi has passed a grueling 2-day field test with flying colors. I honestly expected to shoot the hissing pin on the Kanooten valve at the Mumbling shaft by now. Nope, still screamin'. I fire it up and bury the trigger.

Man, those Japanese engineers use some funny parts names.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
B'ski that reminds me of the many back breaking pond jobs I have initiated. There must be some connection between hand tool type jobs and ponds. BTW when you are through at Otto's I have a dam that needs some dirt compacted by hand followed with hand placement of large rip-rap rock on a dam that will be lucky to be 1 to 1 on the water side. \:o

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We continue to have substantial rains thru the midwest. We got a real frog-strangler about a week ago. I sat at home and watched the red and purple blobs dance across the weather screen for the pond zone. I was sure that I would lose most all the seed, regardless of the erosion blankets.
-
Weekend #3 arrived and we packed it in for another commute to the jobsite to work on phase 3 of Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later. I was pleasantly surprised.
-
Phase 1 (3 weeks after seeding)...

-
Then we processed Phase 3 (there is more of Ph 3 behind the camera). Ph 1 is the farthest section (seeded 3 weeks ago), Ph 2 is the center section (seeded 2 weeks ago), and Ph 3 is closest and behind us, done today.

-
I'm really luvin' these straw blankets for steep grades. We'll check back a couple more times and report the growth, but so far...2 thumbs up.
-
(editor's note; the Ryobi power head finally choked and died. I really beat the crap out of it, so I'm not really disappointed. I'll have to write if off as part of the investment)

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
You have done an excellent job! Once it's seeded, do you just leave it alone, or are you planning to cut it?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Eastland...
The seed blend we are sowing is 1/2 perennial rye and 1/2 warm weather native grasses: Virgina Wild Rye, Little Bluestem, and Switchgrass. I imagine it will take a couple of years for the WWNG to emerge with strength. I think what we're seeing is the P Rye right now. The entire dam area behind this new seeding area is already seeded with the same same WWNG seed blend plus a heavy dose of perennial wildflowers. Then, there is a 1/4 acre zone at the base of the dam that was planted with a blend of various shrubs that are beneficial to birds (and other wildlife) combined with cool season native grasses along with red and yellow clover. We have taken great pains to convert a boring damsite into a nature destination. I hope it works.
-
We're going for the low/no-maint thing. M-Nature has been very good to us with the precip (altho that last dowsing really had me concerned). Since we are absentee, I will continue to rely on precip for watering, but also know that I will likely have to shoot out there on weekends to pump some pond water onto it. If and when it is established, fuggedaboutit.
-

Lunker
Lunker
Looking even better, Bski. I like the low slope on the water side of the dam.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Looking even better, Bski. I like the low slope on the water side of the dam.

I agree with Theo. On first plantings with most grass and especially clover - don't cut it until it has reached the point it has reseeded (wait until fall/brown before cutting).

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good job. I have this daunting task on a smaller scale. Similar slope. I have planted bluestem and Wildflowers on a slope above the dam. I made a scarifier out of 12 penny nails driven thru 1 bys and framed with 2 bys. I hope to drag it with my 'buggy'. I need to make a 'tongue' for it to push and pull it up and down the slope. Any ideas?
I will seed with bahia and bermuda.

SKI, where did ya get the mulch stuff, that looks nice?
I am hoping to use a small AC pump,water hose/w spray head, inverter, battery and solar panel to spray for a few minutes a day(absentee also).

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Not sure about pushing it, but a wood frame with the nails poked through will work well with a few cement bags on top for weight. Just make sure the frame is stout enough to take the abuse and make sure they nails won't bend. You could use regular bolts that are a thicker diameter and then grind them down to a point if the nails don't work.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
A piece of chain leng fence with some weight works well.

OTTO

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Funny you mentioned the chain link, Otto. I had a roll I used. The 'dirt guy' dozered it into the pile along with some downed oaks and hickory; remnants of Katrina. I have tried a bed spring with a log on it. Marginal at best. The soil is pretty crusy by now. I believe the nails will work if I make a rigid tongue so I dont have to keep keep getting out and straightening it up if I try and tow it with chain....I'll figure something out(read-rig it).

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Burgermeister...

I was looking in the Tractor Supply Catalog last night and they sell a drag harrow that you can drag behind a tractor, 4 wheeler, truck, etc. for $200. You can get on the TSC website and search for "drag harrow" if you want to see what I am talking about. It looks like it will take care of what you need.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

Lunker
Lunker
TSC Drag Harrow
We have one of those in 4'x8'. It is very useful; you can dig in with the spikes down or flip it over and smooth/cover seed with the spikes up. I pulled it behind the tractor a lot last year, seeding around our new pond.

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
$200? That's a good deal. Thanks ya'll. A new TSC oopened up on my way out of the city. Driving to the pond tomorrow. 375 mi.
I will pick one up. I have 2 jobs offshore from Houma, La., so not really only a pond trip....plus it will be paid for.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Burger,
I can't find the phone number (wrong file immediately available) for the guy that hooked me up with the rolls of straw matting. I want to call him and ask him for sourcing recommendations down south. When do you plan to do this seeding project?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Burger,
I can't find the phone number (wrong file immediately available) for the guy that hooked me up with the rolls of straw matting. I want to call him and ask him for sourcing recommendations down south. When do you plan to do this seeding project?

Either this weekend or later next week. I will do it also in phases. I will find something to temp. cover it with until I find out the source.
thanks.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The drag harrow is the ticket, the work that thing will do is unbelievable and the hand work it will save is also unbelievable.

otto

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Burger,
I called my sales guy for the construction supplies and left him a vmx to advise any divisions or competitors in the south. No reply...yet.
I just pulled my files for the receipt and can give you something to start with.
The company name is Contech Construction Products
I think this is the stuff you seek
It appears that you might be in luck, based on the "Info by State" button at the top of the home page.
Good luck, man...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
6 WEEKS FROM THE FIRST SEEDING
-

-
We have not pumped one drop from the pond. M Nature has been very, very good to me.
The far end, from the spillway pipe inlet and further (taller grass at top of bank is above spillway pipe), is now 6 weeks from seed. The middle section (spillway pipe to rock lined run-off to our right) is 5 weeks from seed. The last section we stand on is 4 weeks from seed.
The areas that are not green are typically where the straw matting was overlapped at seams or where there were originally run-off ravines in the bank. All else looks pretty good. Hopin' for another drink of rain in the next couple of days. This year in the midwest is a pretty good bet.

Lunker
Lunker
That's looking great, Bski. I was afraid you might have had some erosion amid the newly seeded stuff, but it looks like that's not the case at all.

-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great results. It must be all the hand labor.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Good pictures. You did a good job.
OTTO

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
June '08, 6 weeks after manual tilling and seeding

-
-
...about a year later from above pic

-
Some weeds, some grass, and some of the native grasses are emerging. The wildflowers have been busy re-seeding, also. All in all, much better than raw dirt.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Great job! The sunflowers are a great addition as well.

I wish it was that green down here.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Pond leaking question
by liquidsquid - 06/11/24 05:08 AM
*!?&^#@ Muskrats!
by Boondoggle - 06/10/24 10:56 PM
Poor preachers pond
by Boondoggle - 06/10/24 10:29 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 08:19 PM
System advice
by Knobber - 06/10/24 07:57 PM
Turtles in my lake
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 07:31 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 07:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 04:27 PM
Stocking Bass
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:56 AM
New to me pond
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:52 AM
Varmint Rifle
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:29 AM
Fry Identification
by Fishingadventure - 06/09/24 08:39 PM
Newly Uploaded Images