Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Crawfish:
If not the GG bream what type of bream do you reccomend putting in.
Crimson, we recommend the sunfish we like to catch. My favorite sunfish is the largemouth and smallmouth bass. However, I guess you qualify your statement by saying bream.

If you are a bass guy, be carefull before going any other route than bass/bluegill/redear. Crappie are bad in most small waters, and I don't thing GG's are very good from what I gather here. GG's immediately reproduce an inferior fish, that very year, and apparently don't reproduce very well for largemouth food. If you plan on killing your pond out every couple or three years, then by all means, stock them. Keep in mind, one of their parent breeders is a Green Sunfish and Green Sunfish are normally considered the worst of all sunfish, along with warmouths. They don't get big, and they have giant mouths and appetites.

In your area, coppernose bluegill will give the GG's or any other fish or hybrid a run for their money, in terms of size. They may not be as aggressive.

It's hard to beat a pond with lm bass and bluegill and redear sunfish. There are thousands around this country that were originally stocked that way, and they have maintained their balance fairly well with minimal work.

This said, if you are a hands on kind of guy who likes to try offbeat fish, don't mind killing off several years of work on a whim, the sky is the limit in terms of possbilities. Pick a book on sunfish. Bass, crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, longear, readear, warmouth, green sunfish are just a few choices. Many work better in flowing water or larger enviroments than most ponds posted about here.

Good luck.

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)