AP:

Congrats on taking a step to the dark side!

Learn a few basic knots as well, like the nail knot for attaching leader to the main line. As for leaders, I'd just use straight mono for now. IMO there's no need for expensive tapered leaders when you are learning.

George has some good advice! Just starting out, practice on a day with no wind, and you can practice on a lawn, no water required. Just use something on the end of the leader that won't get caught in the grass I'm self taught as well, and when I learned the thoughts back then was that you can fly fish with your upper arm strapped to your side so you only use your forearm and wrist, keeping the rod between 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock. There are other tips and tricks, but getting a good video and watching it will help imensely. I have a Scientific Anglers #7 wt. kit as well, although it's a bit older than yours.

It still works very well, although carp in the 15# range put quite a strain on it. I really should get a reel with a good drag system on it. George, any suggestions? Handle on the left side please!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).