Quote:
how many crappie would someone stock in a half acre pond
Kristoffer, most of us have 2 possible answers for your question; neither one does you any good:

1. None.

2. I don't know.

IIRC NOBODY knows how to consistently manage Crappie in small ponds. We've talked about it a lot here. (If you haven't done a search for "Crappie" and read those threads, do so. You can see the extent of our interest and ignorance.) Crappie are probably the fish we would overall most like to know a lot more about managing. We have plenty of people who love to fish for and eat Crappie. We even have case studies of small ponds where Crappie have done well and not been a problem, but I don't think we really understand WHY.

I am sure that you (or another capable, interested party with enough available time) can make Crappie work in a small pond; perhaps you can be the one to formula-ize Crappie management and make the results reproduceable for all. Give it a go, keep records, and let us know what happens (good or bad).

If you want a real WAG, I'd stock 20-25 adults or maybe 100 juveniles for 1/2 acre.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]