jakeb, this would certainly depend on your goals.

Keep in mind that probably 99% of the tilapia available for stocking are hybridized in some fashion. This is why you will read so many studies that have WIDE ranges of cold tolerance for supposedly the same species.

If you have a long growing season, you may want to go with a Mozambique or even older Nile tilapia so they have less chance of overpopulating. these climates are pretty much south of the Mason/Dixon line. Anyplace north of there, would probably benefit from the pure Blue tilapia so they can remain in the water a little longer before the lower temps kill them.

In Ohio, Kansas, Indiana, and other middle US states, Blues can get you an extra 2-4 months keeping waters cleaner and providing forage over a Nile or Mozambique. Depending on the numbers stocked, this can equate into several hundred extra pounds of forage provided.

Personally, having seen how prolific my Blues are in aquariums, I would not risk the blue in a warm climate. It would be like Crappie on steroids if the temps didn't drop enough to control the population. The lack of cold tolerance IS what makes the tilapia so well suited in a pond as forage. Algae control is just a HUGE side benefit!

Last edited by Rainman; 06/02/09 12:21 AM. Reason: FWIW my 13 one pound+ females have produced over 5000 fry in the last 8 months