Yo Matt

First off, congrats on all the progress. I am anxious to see it sometime. I've had 1.5" since January. Amazing...down probably 3+ feet...I have my electrical inspector due tomorrow and hopefully water pumping Wednesday - not a day too soon. I've been saying this for weeks, however.

IMO here's the pros:

For the money, Matt, I'd consider buying a trash pump [Honda engine] since they are only around $500 in Northern Tool. They are useful tools and you never know when you'll want to drain or add water, maybe fill a forage pond in the future, etc. The Honda model I'm looking at right now will do 16,000 GPH or 384,000/day. One acre, one inch deep, is 27,000 gallons. So, that's over 14" [without evaporation] increase daily. Wouldn't take long at that rate.

Cons:
I think pumping that water is illegal without some kind of a permit - although I'm not certain that's important to you.

You have to be concerned with introducing invasive species from the creek to the pond. White perch, carp, bullhead, could conceivably make it through although most fish I've ever seen passed thru a pump looked like they'd been through a blender...it's still a risk.

PS: Just reread Sand County Almanac last month...refreshing.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]