More info on burgermeister's self feed-trained LMB:
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I just hand fed 1/4 inch 42% at 11AM and a whole school of largemouth yearlings stayed in one spot and eat all I would throw out. Apparently they have been eating the smaller stuff, or just found out how easy it is to get protein. A dozen or so pellets has to be similar to a couple of 3 inch BG nutrition wise, huh?
At first I was excited, now after thinking about it, I wondered if it is a reason why, in my opinion, they are not taking care of business with the BG as they should. 75 stocked, 600 BG last year.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Why should they hustle when they have a benefactor like you? Actually, I expect they do clobber the BG anytime they get a chance.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
As noted on the other thread you posted in, I have not seen this problem (although this year is not a fair test for me).

One difference you and I have is in the stocked LMB:BG ratio, burger. I started with a much higher number of LMB wrt the BG and I believe it has stayed pretty high. Another is that you have much longer feeding and BG spawning seasons down there.

For comparison purposes, I feed once a day, 5-6 days a week. That may also be notably different.

P.S. Lots of love, burger.

Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes I do see a few non-feed trained LMB start eating pellets. It appears to be only a small % . I think this could be from several sources. They may have been somewhat trained by placing them early on in a pond where BG are being feed trained or fed at the hatchery. It may be induced by competition for food. Could be conditioned by seeing BG and other fish such as CC or LMB eating pellets. I also see this in the offspring of feed trained LMB but not in the % you get by buying feed trained LMB from the hatchery.

Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Thanks, Eric. I also feel that is the several factors. I cant adjust fish habits, it was just surprising to see a whole school chowing down. I'm sure they will grow enough shortly not to be satisfied with the feed. Probably happens more than noticed, but with clear water, I can see it better.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 05/14/09 10:26 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]