Greg and Nate -

Ditto, ditto and ditto. We spray a lot of aquatic vegetation and for good reasons. I've learned to manage client expectations by: 1) having them sign an agreement on our scope of work i.e. herbicides used, mode of application (airboat, 6x6, etc.) and the like, 2) explain, in writing, requiring a signature, all the things that could or could not happen before, during and after the application...yes it's a long list but worth the Client's read, and 3) the last, but most important part, our clients are given the actual herbicide labels and they must sign and return each page stating they read and understood it.

We implemented this over 5 years ago and I've had no "un-managed" client expectations and I've never had to do a free or reduced-price re-treatment. We all know what's going to happen before it happens. Clear communication prevents many problems.

In ericdc's instance, it's a perfect example to everyone out there that just because someone owns a spray boat, has a license and can purchase aquatic herbicides, does not mean they can perform the job correctly.

I once got called out to a 30 acre lake that an aquatic applicator from another company had just used around $10,000 of granular algaecide to treat coontail. The guy called me to get an second opinion. He showed me the bids he received and said he chose this guy because he was the cheapest. Bad decision. Cost him a lot of money in the long run.

Folks, learn your lesson early - ask questions, do your due diligence and make sure you're dealing with a competent professional. You won't regret any of it.