No experience with the western red cedar. Just countless hours I do of research of my passion, trees.
I did plant a western red cedar last year, but its obviously too soon to decide anything from that. In some references its stated that the western red cedar can grow in the east, but an interior seed source needs to be used because it'll be more drought-tolerant and cold-hardier than a coastal source. Also, some info states that in the right location, western red cedar will grow as fast as 'green giant' and will be bigger in all dimensions than the advertised ultimate size of 'green giant'.

The austree is a fancy name to get your money. It is nothing other than a hybrid willow. Most mail-order nurseries offer these trees. They are easy to propagate so don't buy too many. I bought 10 in 2000 and have 100's now.
I noticed that to get the fastest growth from a hybrid willow is directly sticking them near a water source; such as a pond or stream(drink little fellow, drink). Probably your pond could disappear if you stuck enough along the shores every year.

Many people hate the royal empress tree(paulownia tomentosa), because its a invasive pest in the east. It truly will grow superfast for people in the south with some help. But with all superfast growing trees, the wood is weak. If one has plenty of space for the paulownia, then one should have some fun already. But it is not considered a choice or long-term prospect for one's yard. I bought paulownia tomentosa and paulownia elongata last year, but don't know whether they will be tree-like here. Most sources say zone 6 and above. They tend to die to the ground their first couple years. That's where the stupid ads claim 'zoom 20ft in one year'. That's coming from a established root system.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question