I know several of the members here are all into the AM 500 & 600, but have ponds that are further along than mine. I have opted to begin with the AM 300. It is a sinking feed of 50% protein and smaller in size than the 500-600 (the measurement escapes me at the moment). I plan to hand feed because, at the moment, I'm gonna have to sell a kid to pay for the feed, ;\) so a feeder is not in the mix right now. What I would like to know is how to effectively feed this stuff and by that I mean sticking to shallow water versus deep water, a combination perhaps? My fish (BG,CC,FHM,RES,LMB-soon) are all of the fingerling variety. I see what I think are BG in the very shallow areas on the edges (I'm talking less than inches here, footprints and other depressions). There attitudes are different from the FHM, much more leary and cautious and I think my RES are already developing (in a week) their angry yet illusive behavior patterns (I've seen a couple suspected RES feeding at the surface and then darting deep after a mouth full). Any suggestions, short of springing for the feeders, on how and when, what depth and all that jazz. The dealer/feed store said 2-4 weeks, so maybe water temps will be more conducive to feeding(?). Expensive at a heart stopping $38.00 per 50 lb bag :(, but if the fish convert the higher protein to body mass, well spent I'd say.