Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Wallaman, antscozz, Bowhunter2004, Thomas7, tynpond
18,551 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,037
Posts558,770
Members18,551
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,625
ewest 21,522
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,166
Who's Online Now
11 members (Nolan, Mainer, Retired on 40, Boondoggle, Jason D, John Fitzgerald, Sunil, gehajake, ewest, nvcdl, etx-pond-c), 1,012 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Ack Offline
Lunker
Lunker
A
jsand13, it sounds like you might have the perfect situation there: an old couple living right by your land that wants to walk on it, but not fish. If I were you I'd tell them that they (and only them -- no friends, family, etc.) can take walks on the land in exchange for watching your land and pond and calling you if they see any trespassers. Let them walk your land, send them some cookies at Christmas, and you'll have an extra set of eyes watching out for your land.

Regarding the signs: There's a large area of land near my house with no fence, but the owner has put up professionally made signs up every 50 yards or so around the perimeter that say "Private property. No trespassing. Hunting leases available for $1000 per day. Trespassers hunting without a lease will be sued for the full amount due."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ack
jsand13, it sounds like you might have the perfect situation there: an old couple living right by your land that wants to walk on it, but not fish. If I were you I'd tell them that they (and only them -- no friends, family, etc.) can take walks on the land in exchange for watching your land and pond and calling you if they see any trespassers. Let them walk your land, send them some cookies at Christmas, and you'll have an extra set of eyes watching out for your land.

Regarding the signs: There's a large area of land near my house with no fence, but the owner has put up professionally made signs up every 50 yards or so around the perimeter that say "Private property. No trespassing. Hunting leases available for $1000 per day. Trespassers hunting without a lease will be sued for the full amount due."

js

it's your place and your choice and i fully understand it's hard to let someone intrude on something you've invested so much time and effort and capital into creating - but Ack really makes a lot of sense to me. knowing your hard work can create a nice place for your older neighbors to stroll will probably feel pretty good - and you DO get an extra few folks who watch the place. my thought is if you make them feel a part of your plan and process by allowing them to walk around, they will feel strongly about preserving it. i know you didn't ask me...but there's my two cents. good luck.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
jsand is not wrong in his stance. When you allow others the usage of your property, there are more risks than just those people disobeying.

Other would-be trespassers see these people (those with permission) and 'convince' themselves that they can be there also.

I believe the extra set of eyes is worth the risk though. When you are absentee, you need all the help you can get.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I have the same problem. My 86ac surrounds on three sides a .89ac lot with an old frame house and some losers...I have problems with them shooting all the time and ricocheting over my house...The other day they let loose with a full mag from an AK....I had to kick them off my place a couple times. My house is 250yards away, so a hundred rounds of 9mm gets kinda old. Other than the AK it has been quiet lately...I guess the price of ammo is hurting them.. The guy is in his 50s and never worked, his daddy owns the house and sends money. The dad wont sell and has him out there so he wont get in trouble(lucky me).

Last edited by Sgt911; 04/14/09 01:18 PM.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sgt911
I have the same problem. My 86ac surrounds on three sides a .89ac lot with an old frame house and some losers...I have problems with them shooting all the time and ricocheting over my house...The other day they let loose with a full mag from an AK....I had to kick them off my place a couple times. My house is 250yards away, so a hundred rounds of 9mm gets kinda old. Other than the AK it has been quite lately...I guess the price of ammo is hurting them.. The guy is in his 50s and never worked, his daddy owns the house and sends money. The dad wont sell and has him out there so he wont get in trouble(lucky me).

That's a lot different scenario you just described. You got dealt a very poor neighbor hand. Jeesh - I don't blame you for letting one loose their way.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
It sucks..I've got more than enough firepower to make their life miserable. All my other neighbors(3) live on 50 to a 100ac and are great..I also back up to a non-occupied 1,000 ranch.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Lunker
Lunker
That is a bummer deal Sgt - our community chain is only as strong as the weakest link kinda thing...it takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch, yada yada.

Maybe you should start a "controlled burn" and allow it to stray the course for, say .89 acres, and call it a day?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Mowing dam and pond edges
by John Fitzgerald - 05/28/24 01:10 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by ewest - 05/28/24 12:37 PM
Another hybrid
by ewest - 05/28/24 12:19 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 05/28/24 11:25 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 05/28/24 09:37 AM
Floating platform - barrels or floats?