ewest,
Wow, that's quite a thread. I started reading it at one point right after I registered, but got sidetracked and never got back. I've just finished readng it in full. It looks like you C&P'd from several replys. Thank you for you efforts.

You're right, there are no predators. This pond has been in the family since 1947. It hasn't been stocked since then and we're as close to positive as we can be that it wasn't stocked before that.

Based on the thread you quoted, I think we will use this as an experiment. We know what's in there now. HBG's. There is no possibility of something else popping up. We are in no hurry. Sounds like a chance to sit back and observe. I'll be interested to see what we get in the way of fry, if any, and we should have a couple generations, if they do breed, in as many years. That'll give us tme to let 'em grow a little while we learn more about this pond management thing. We can throw a few predators in in a couple years if we need to.

Meanwhile, this winter I'm going to work on tying up some buggy looking things with rubber legs. It won't hurt to test to see how aggressive, and tasty, they are next summer.

rick r.