OK, I’m seeing a lot of info that tells me HBG degrade with successive generations. Is this from inbreeding or from natural reversion back to ……whatever? How far does the degradation go? Is there a danger of the development of defects such as crooked spines, etc? Is size affected? If we introduce natural BG will they mix with the HBG? If so, what would be the expected outcome? If we were to stay with HBG is there a need for a predator species? Walleye? Rainbow trout?

I’m forming my questions from experience with tropical fish in my younger days. Some species require periodic introductions from different gene pools. Others do just fine in a closed situation. I’ve posted here before, but after doing a lot of reading of other posts I’m finding other questions that need to be asked.

Our pond/swale/bayou (depending on who you’re talking to) is located in the U.P. of MI. It is separated from Lake Superior only by a sand dune. The water level in the pond is completely dependent on the level of Superior. It is approximately 300 ft. long and 150 ft. wide averaging 14 deep. A lot of the bank is covered by Alder brush. An average winter without a lot of early snow finds 4-6 inches of ice. I married into the family 38 years ago, and until we stocked it over the summer it has only had minnows, turtles, and frogs. In July we stocked 250 HBG which are doing well according to my brother-in-law. Unfortunately, my wife and I live in VA and I only get to see this pond a couple weeks a year. Our short term goal is to have some fun for us, our kids and grandkids catching these guys on light action setups. Long term we’re looking for decent sized BG or HBG on a sustained basis.

Next summer I intend to do a more thorough mapping of the bottom. I guess what I’m asking, in addition to the questions above, is, “What else should I be asking?”

rick r.