Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
The coils were similiar to those we'd seen pictures of(I have a feeling I'm far from the only one whose loops could use more 'fluff'). Actually, two bidders were the same and it came down to the one we chose; pretty much all geo pond loop work itself goes to a couple of installers out of Indy (maybe he wasn't watching them close enough and maybe we weren't smart enough). Our geo techs use the same loop persons and has a good work relationship with them. You know how that goes--live and learn. In the end, it will be fine. \:\)

The correctly "fluffed" coil should allow for free flow of water between the turns of the coil. The flow is generated by thermosyphoning. Since the temperature differential is just few degrees the flow is quite slow. Because of slow velocity of the water effective heat exchange requires large contact surface. Therefore the correct fluff affects overall efficiency of the geo system especially during high load operation. I understood that you are going to use aerator(s). Placing them under the coils should definitely improve the velocity of water in the coils. As I said before fluffing coils correctly takes quite an effort and time (lot of cable ties and spacers). In general the individual turns shouldn't touch each other and be at least 1/2" apart. You should be able to see trough the coil looking down as well as horizontally. Later on the coils gets "polluted" by algae and other stuff living in the water. If the turns touch or are too close the stuff will plug the passages and the efficiency of the coil will decrease. It always happens few years after warranty expires. Do not take "This is how we always do it for an answer." They might be doing it all wrong all the time. By the way the more I think about that I should refluff my coils too. Warranty is expired so I am on my own.

Last edited by Ladia; 03/24/09 06:02 PM.

We live in a barn (aircraft hanger) converted to a house.
0.7 ac leaky pond.