Quote:
It is a pest in my opinion.
White Perch are a prolific pest! We have white perch in two public lakes just outside of Lincoln. In Branched Oak Lake they are stunted and you rarely see them over 4-5" length, in Pawnee lake they are not stunted. The primary difference between the two lakes is that B.O. also has shad population which the predators prefer over the white perch, in Pawnee Lake there is no shad population and the white perch are a primary food source for most predators which helps keep their numbers in check. Right now there are special protective regualtions at B.O. lake for the predators, both HSB and Flathead catfish are 100% catch and release and the bag limits on walleye are very restrictive. The NE G & P has made lemonade out of the lemons (white perch) at BO which will need to be renovated some time in the future. Here is a FC catch and release picture from BO this last weekend. If you do consider stocking them I would make sure your pond is predator heavy and there are no shad present. I would also take steps to make sure they never leave your pond and get into watersheds below where the will likely cause lots of problems. Once they become prolific and stunted you will get very little succesfull reproduction from your other fish species as most YOY fry will a eaten by the hords of stunted WP. IMO the are not a good species to stock anywhere.

[img]http://heartlandforums.com/forums/album_picm.php?pic_id=59[/img]