Hey George who got all serious? \:\) This is a fun post - and you got me to actually opine. When I found this forum I learned the most from posts with debate that had logic & examples on all sides. Ponds and fish are living things, and you're right - it does depend. I'm happy you started this by throwing down the challenge to disagreeing with Bill, it's those post that are instructive.

I agree with what you're saying and fully understand the perspective.

Your second reason - "teach someone how to fish, without the disappointment of NOT catching a fish" - I fully understand. I get that. My point was why I don't use pellets and why a pondmeister would choose not to.

Re: the sampling, I just think the negative consequences are bigger than anyone can see. Fish populations in feed ponds are so dense it's almost impossible to get to the point that Todd talked about where "you can't catch them on pellets anymore." If you're that far every fish won't ever eat a pellet and that would be wacky pond - and I think that negative effects happen way before that - like when one fish of good potential fish gets more cautious and eats pellets less aggressively.

If you want to test this put 5 nice fish in a small pond. Feed train them for a year, 3 months, whatever. Watch them get fat with great relative weights. Then start fishing with a pellet. Catch the fish every week. I'd bet you a beer that your pellet won't work so well in a couple weeks - and I'd bet you'd see a clear difference in the feeding habits on pellets for a long period of time.

I also agree that it's a good way to sample - just short of seining or electo. My interpretation of sampling to see growth sizes and traits was that was done occasionally or annually.