Originally Posted By: esshup
bbjr & Cecil:

This is getting interesting! I was looking at Tilapia for both forage and control of algae, but didn't think that it was a viable option because of their cold water intolerance. I can live with re-stocking every year. Where are they available up this way? I'm 1/2hr. due East of Valpo about a mile and a half North of Rt. 30.

I had a terrible time with algae last year when the pond was smaller. This year with the increase in size (more than doubled the size) I don't know how bad it will be.

We will have to see what BBjr. says and he is in your area of the state. (According to Mapquest you are only about 30 minutes apart). My guess is live Asian market near Chicago? Rainman can also overnight ship you some talapia fry. Only thing is you need to apply for a Fish Hauler's and Suppliers permit to bring them into the state but it's free and painless. Talapia are allowed to be imported into Indiana as long as you have a Fish Hauler's and Supplier's permit. I would get one just to be safe even if you buy them in state. I can email you an application form.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/15/09 04:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.