So much for that theory...

I was so sure the spring I put the tubes on was too wimpy to rise above itself. Surprise surprise ...

My pond is now about 6 inches from being full and I pulled up my clear plastic tubes. ( both connected to the same spring ) One is still dribbling when I hold it 6 inches above the water, and I can see little particles of clay getting pushed along in the water still moving through the tube when it is above water level. It isn't much but it is still giving not taking. I guess that fits with how I noticed the water over this spring not freezing and the clear water plume I saw when the water was a bit shallower. I guess I should be glad as this means my pond will probably be self filling even in the summer, and even if I am using water for irrigation, \:\) but that is only if I can stop the leak or leaks.

My next guess is my leak may be the quirky spring which is located a foot and a half above and about 6 feet back from the good spring. ( Now also located under a pile of gloppy clay and boulders ) I couldn't get a tube attached to it because it is right beside an area where a lot of water is trickling in through the topsoil at the back of the pond. The quirky spring spent a month last September in a little pool that quickly refilled if I bailed it out but never over flowed. Which seems suspicious.

The quirky spring doesn't seem like a big hole. It's about the size of a pencil. Am I right in guessing with water pressure on top of it, it could remove substantially more water than it seems to give?

I'm also wondering if I am probably correct in assuming that if there was no water coming in through the clay basin ( except these 3 springs / seeps ) at this time of year when everything is saturated, that it's unlikely any substantial amount of water is leaving through the clay basin, except through the visible springs and seeps?

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions.

My pond sure looks pretty now it is full of water again. \:\)