Originally Posted By: RobA
Nice set up. I have an old small pot belly wood stove that I want put in my barn but, like you, don't want to have the chimney go through the roof or attach the braces to the roof either. Any idea how much the through the wall chimney set up cost or what the rule of thumb is for clearance from the roof?

The set up that you see there was about $1,000 complete. The chimney parts don't come cheap. Well actually you can get cheaper chimney parts but when it comes to a chimney we decided not to go cheap. Fire is a HUGE risk in our area and I wasn't going to take any chances. The outside chimney parts are all double walled and have a "thermal blanket" sandwiched in the middle. With the stove running you can place your hand on the outside pipe and it is warm but not hot - DON'T try this with the single wall black pipe that is inside though. \:o

The Duratech Duravent Class A chimney pipe (used outside) can be placed as close as 2 inches away from combustibles. Ours is about 8 inches away from the wall. The Harts Hearth folks recommend that your chimney extend a minimum of 3 feet over the top of the roof line, we extended ours 4 feet over the edge of the roof line.

Please keep in mind that I'm no wood stove/chimney expert. We did a lot of research and called both Harts Hearth and Northern Tools several times when designing our system. The Harts Hearth folks were very helpful, we ordered some parts from them and other parts from Northern Tool (Northern Tool was significantly cheaper on some parts but they didn't have all of the parts).

The hardest part of the system was the design. The installation was fairly straight forward. Oh and another tip, we used a "Roto Zip" to cut the circular hole through the wall - if you don't have one of these or something simular then get one. I use my Roto Zip for all kinds of stuff and it works great.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)