Hey Eddie,
Thanks for taking the time to review the plan and render an opinion.
We're pretty comfortable with the master plan. We are focused on the living space. For the next 10+ years, that's what counts the most for us.
 Quote:
The roof will be expensive to build because you are spanning the entire distance with large lumber or engineered lumber. You will need a very strong, very expensive ridge beam to support the load of the roof, plus snow. The longer you do this, the more it costs.

Yes, it will be fairly expensive. I am planning on engineered I-joists for the roof rafters, sheathed with 1/2" OSB, felt paper (or composite) underlayment, and the metal roof.
-
The framing for the second floor is still on the drawing board, but I am leaning toward a clear span of 27' without a beam support at the center. This can be accomplished with 16" engineered I-joists at 16" o/c for the floor framing. I really want to eliminate that center beam and all the related costs and additional labor to install it. Besides, I am really sold on the engineered framing products. Yeah, they might be more expensive, but they yield a roof or floor surface that is flat and straight as a billiard table. Very predictable; very reliable.
-
 Quote:
The garage is so small that you might find it difficult to open the doors of the car after you get it into there.

Good point; worth discussion.
A garage can never be too big. But, as you and I have already compared notes, my concern is for the best blend with living space. At an interior dimension of 22.5' wide x 27' deep, this garage will hold a couple of vehicles with reasonable space to open the vehicle doors. The plan shows OH doors that are 10' wide (as opposed to a stock 9' wide door). That might make the view deceiving.
I will admit that I am still considering giving the entire footprint another 2' stretch in length (from 42' - 44') to allow just a little more space in the garage.
-
Thanks, Ed-man!