Note CAREFULLY that Theo and those that agree with him are suggesting stocking 100 LMB fingerlings (2"-4") in a 1/2 acre pond. This equates to 200 LMB per acre. This is a higher number of bass per acre than often recommended by many gov. agencies and some previous posts on this forum. This higher number of bass for initial stocking (200/ac), I assume is due to the goals mentioned by SteveM which was "" Our goals are for good BG fishing even considering HBG(?), along with LMB and CC. I intended on stocking 10 lbs of FHs...."".

If one wants good (or trophy) BG fishing then the fishery NEEDS to have a continual high number of lower sized predator bass (9"-14") to keep the numbers of ever present BG "thinned down". When BG numbers become crowded their growth USUALLY slows down. The more crowded BG become the more their overall growth slows. Conversely the more crowded and slower growing the bass become the larger the average size of BG that are usually present. It is very difficult to have it both ways - large BG and large bass. This topic has been discussed on this forum previously. Maybe some one can provide a link to those discussions?

In my numerous experiences, to maintain a quality BG fishery with some annual harvest of BG in a smal pond one needs to feed the BG a high proten fish food to keep growth and optimum numbers of larger BG at its best it can be for a small pond. Typically a small pond (1/4-1ac) receives too much fishing pressure and harvest to produce trophy BG fishing in the long term if just relying on natural foods. Feeding high protein pellets produces more and larger panfish per acre.

Now if the GOALS of a small pond fishery is to produce primarily larger bass (15"-19" northern zone) then fewer bass are generally recommended to be stocked per acre and fewer bass are present per acre. Also the stocking combination and type of fish would be somewhat different than Theo recommends earlier in this thread. The GOALS of the pondowner are VERY important for determining what and how many fish to stock.

Someone correct me if I am remiss.

SOME Notes about using HBG.
Also one should keep in mind that if you plan a regular harvest of the larger HBG, then a regular stocking is necessary to maintain the same relative density of adult HBG. Do not rely on HBG to replentish their numbers because it will not happen. This could be one of the underlying reasons for some hatcheries only stocking HBG since they will likely have regular repeat customers. Also keep in mind that the SIZE of additional stock of HBG will need to be larger than fingerling size 1"-3" to provide good survial of the add stock. Bass of 10"-13" love eating 2"-3" sunfish and each hungry bass can eat a couple per day during the spring - summer. If you like the idea of a very willing fish to bite a hook then HBG are IMO somewhat better than regular BG. I think regular adult BG have a greater tendency to become hook shy compared to HBG. I have no proof or data, just some of my exeriences to back up this claim. It would be a very good research project for some college student MS thesis or a person wanting a presentation at a Pond Boss conference.

On the other side of the panfish "coin", regular BG can be a very good and fast growing panfish, even sometimes as good as or exceeding that of the HBG. Give regular BG optimum growing conditions and they are an exceptional panfish. Plus they are providing ample food for the bass AND annually reproducing quality genetic stock to replentish those that have been harvested for table fare. If your pond has BG and is not regularly producing some DESIRED large BG each year then IMO you might want to change your management methods OR Goals OR you are unrealistic as to what can be accomplished in a small pond. Many pond owners do not want or need large BG for their goals of pond management.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/01/09 09:07 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management