Originally Posted By: Michfish
Sorry about my going off on that subject, I do get carried away some times. Sooo anyway I just put 200 HSB in my Mich. farm pond this fall and I REALLY questioned the fish dealer about the legality of planting them. He assures me that it is legal and that they have planted them in many Michigan ponds.??? Anyone have any other facts to share?

I'm still waiting for a response from my contact in Michigan but going to the Department of Agriculture website I don't see hybrid striped bass listed under the list of approved aquaculture species below. I find it doubtful if they are not an approved species for aquaculture they would allow them to be planted into ponds. Again I will find out for you from a good source up there.

You will need an Aquaculture Facility Registration if you will be commercially culturing, producing, growing, using, propagating, harvesting, transporting, importing, exporting, or marketing approved aquaculture species under the Michigan Aquaculture Act. These species include: lake sturgeon, paddlefish, arctic grayling, atlantic salmon, brown trout, brook trout, splake, lake trout, Chinook salmon, coho salmon, pink salmon, rainbow trout, lake whitefish, lake herring, muskellunge, northern pike, tiger muskie, common carp, goldfish, creek chub, bowfin, redbelly dace, finescale dace, common shiner, golden shiner, emerald shiner, bluntnose minnow, fathead minnow, black bullhead, yellow bullhead, brown bullhead, channel catfish, flathead catfish, burbot, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, white crappie, black crappie, hybrid crappie, warmouth, rock bass, green sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, pumpkinseed, redear sunfish, sauger, walleye, saugeye, yellow perch, bigmouth buffalofish, white perch, white bass, tilapia, prawn, crayfish, brine shrimp, shrimp, mahi-mahi, haddock, cod, halibut, snapper, grouper, red drum, tuna, flounder, pompano, snook, and mackerel.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1569_16979_21263---,00.html

If it turns out they are not legal I would keep it quiet. The MDNR has been know to make people rotenone or drain their ponds when there are fish that aren't supposed to be in there.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/27/08 01:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.