I am looking to spend very little money on this (who isn't?). A couple questions that I have initially are:

1. Very large healthy trees are in a few spots where the pond will be dug. Can I leave these there? Will they survive in a couple feet of water?

2. The ground is relatively level. Is it necessary to create a dirt/clay barrier between the crop fields and the pond area?

3. I don't believe we'll be able to create an inlet pipe from the creek to the pond to fill as the elevation of the pond will be significantly higher than that of the creek. Keeping the options of pumping or naturally filling in mind, would a spring be beneficial if we were to hit it when digging? I've heard conflicting reports. On one hand, I understand spring water is a very healthy source of water. However, with the creek level being so far less than where the pond will be, would the spring only allow the water level to rise to a certain point, much lower than what I would want?

4. What plants should I consider? I was reading through and saw some great reviews for vetiver grass, but this can't freeze (obviously something that happens a few months every year here). Are there alternatives to this? My cousin is a forestry major and suggested a type of wheat. What types should I look for? Also, of the 9 aquatic plants I detailed in the above outline, which are good to consider and are there any others that I should consider?

5. I've read for a small pond, you can easily create too much structure. How much is too much? I love the ideas I've found throughout this site and think this part of the planning will be one of the most fun but I don't want to overdo it.

6. I was unable to find plans for constructing a floating dock on a budget. Does anyone have anything like this or a link to this?

7. Is there a particular type of sand that I should consider for the small fishing area and what size should I make it, keeping in mind the entire area of the pond is approximately one acre?

This other aerial view is a little further zoomed out and the red circles were other possibilities but the one we're going with the one furthest south.

A lot of questions, I know, but this is only the beginning I'm afraid. I've been doing a ton of research to prepare myself and would love any additional, direct feedback if possible. Oh, and I will certainly be subscribing to the magazine soon.