Terry - A lot can happen as far as humans and fish introduction in a pond two seasons old. By seasons I assume you mean 2 yrs and not a fall and a winter. Forty yrs in the pond business have taught me that birds did not do that fish stocking in your 4 ac pond especially if a couple species are present. I doubt very much that all you have are minnows. Unless you are really talented with a cast net I don't expect you will catch much with a net. Wire mesh minnow traps that are drab colored and baited work good at sampling most species of smaller fishes except LMB.

Your alternative plan sounds okay. It will allow for adjustments as the fishery develops. You probably don't have money for adequate stocking and your plan is probably the cheapest and one with the most likelihood of producing a fair fishery after a couple years. Time and management will determine the longer term conditions. AS I said earlier you can always start over if trash fish take over the pond. If the resulting fishery is fairly good you will be suprised how many "friends" the four home owners have.

By all means keep us posted on the pond's progress. Occasionally return to this post and up-date us. Thanks. We all may learn a little as things progress. Let us know what you catch this weekend with your net sampling.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management