Originally Posted By: Brettski
Let me try this...tell me if I'm gettin' closer or further away.

In panel #1, the neutral bar should be bonded to the panel. Running a ground wire from this neutral bar to a ground rod is correct procedure. The 4th service wire that runs to panel #2 is the ground wire that is also connected to the neutral bar in panel #1.

In panel #2 (regarding the 4 inbound wires from panel #1) the neutral bar only sees connection with the white neutral current wire. The inbound ground wire will bond to the panel and it is OK to run this further to another ground rod. By no means should I connect the ground and neutral (this includes making sure that there is no bond between the neutral bar and the panel).

In panel #3, same story as panel #2.

This is correct, other than you shouldn't need any additional ground rods past the first one (assuming that in your area, local codes say one ground rod is sufficient) on panel 1. I don't think it will hurt anything to have more down the line since you ran a ground wire that interconnects the panels, but I will double check this, also.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp