Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Cecil, I don't know if this will help at all, but I'm going to try anyway. I waited too long for my golden retriever, Mandy. I still have tough feelings about making her suffer longer than she should have. On my next challenge, I have promised myself to do better.

Good point Dave. If she appears to be suffering and there is nothing that can be done I will do the right thing. But as of now she doesn't appear to be suffering, and she's such a tough dog the fall down the carpeted stairs didn't even phase her. I took in a urine sample this morning for an "ERD" whatever that is. I do know the kidney deterioration can be managed with a low protein high quality protein diet and a few other things if it hasn't progressed to far, so if she's not suffering maybe we can enjoy our time together a little longer.

At this point I don't have enough info and it could be an infection or something. We shall see.

She's scared me a couple of other times and she pulled through like a champ. One other time the vet suspected kidney deterioration and the tests came out negative. And she stopped waking us up at 3 A.M. to go pee once the humidity levels got back up to normal in the house. My guess is she was drinking a lot of water at night because it was so dry. We have a cathedral ceiling and even with one humidifier it's not enough.

Then there was the time I thought she had a stroke as she was walking sideways, stumbling, and with her head tilted weird. Turned out to be hardened ear wax up against her eardrum that was messing with her equilibrium.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.