I am cleaning out the muck on my 0.6 acre pond. The muck has been accumulating for over 60 years and is 2-3 feet deep. I decided to do the work myself while the pond remains filled so I do not disturb the large bass. While it is time consuming, it is really pretty easy with the right equipment. I am pumping all the muck into a series of 80 mesh 8 oz non woven dewatering bags. The muck will consolidate about 8:1 when dried and it makes very good and friable topsoil. That means that a 24" thick layer of muck will dewater to about 3" layer of dried soil. My first 10' x 15' bag is full and drying now. I just ordered a 15' x 25' bag that I am going to place on my weed covered garden. When dry this Spring, I will just cut off the top of the bag and plant vegetables....no weeds either. I fabricated a suction strainer from a small plastic waste basket and I am pumping the muck out underwater using a gas engine driven diaphragm pump adjacent to the shore. I tried several different centrifugal pumps but the small shells, stones, and twigs kept binding up the impeller. Once I switched to the correct pump, it runs until I get tired. I did invest in a wet suit, divers boots, and divers gloves. The 55 oF water felt warm in that outfit so I will continue pumping this fall. Rather than renting the equipment, I purchased used and can work on the pond whenever I have the desire and time. It sucks up leaves, small stones, algae, shells, twigs...anything that can fit through the 1" square openings of the strainer. The pump can actually handle up to 1 3/4" solids. Anything that doesn't fit, I pull off by hand while the pump is running. So far, I have pulled out small rubber balls, a softball, tin cans, bottles, and an old snorkle. I had researched this for some time and it works!..........Doug