Hey again all -

I've posted a few times since the pond was built. (1/2 - 3/4 acre - 8-11 ft deep). silty bottom, dug pond (no dam, no current - muchly spring fed) No Gravel or Rock Piles, no crayfish - Some lone rocks - Central NY Pond.

The plan has been BG & LMB - maybe some YP in small numbers.
With emphasis on larger BG and crowded bass 12-15".

Well I'm glad I haven't rushed the stocking - I've had lots of time to read the "Archives" on this forum - and I've learned TONS. The time to think ahead has been rewarding.

Anyhow - 200 BG have been in since July/Aug and we've had some spawning already. The plan was to add LMB in early Summer 2009 after the MAIN BG Spawns (and still might be). But......... I'd rather catch a 12" SMB anyday over a 16" LMB - so from what I've read SMB are an iffy control on the BG population and don't always spawn well themselves.

I wonder if I could start out with 30-50 SMB and NO LMB and see how it goes???? I mean, couldn't I always add some LMB if SMB recruitment is low and BG populations start to run high? I would think that once LMB are in the Pond, you are kind of committed to them.

Don't get me wrong, LMB would be OK -and I think I'd mix in a few SMB as bonus fish if thats the case - But I'd rather have the SMB if possible over the LMB.

Curious if any northern Pond guys have done the same, and how did it work? What does any of your experience tell you? I don't think culling out 6" plus BG will be a problem, my kids have decided the BG eat GREAT!

Sorry for all the questions -
Thanks ahead of time -
F-H