Good stuff here - thanks Brettski. I too have nothing but clay -and just as they finished the core trench we got a 3.5" rain event and it filled about 8' of my pond. Loved the rain, hated the timing.

SO....good news is: Dam holds, banks are saturated and evaporation has had very minor effect which is great considering I'll be pumping to keep it full during dry stretches.
Bad News: Was not able to create the humps or other structure elements I wanted to on the main pond. I do have another 10' to full pool, and will be left to create habitat in that zone apart from sinking some PVC globes or other sinkable structure in the main lake if I choose to do so.

I can still get to work on the smallmouth beds - Theo recommended around 50 for a 4 acre structure. I have two areas specifically designed for BG and YP reproduction that will always be around 4-6' and vegetated.

I'm thinking I'll have about 25 tons delivered and see where that gets me. Problem is I'm going to have to move this things around with a loader. Could be a long Fall and Winter activity.

Sunil has a book? I would benefit from it I'm certain. Never had any dialogue with him but I'm a fan admiring from afar...let me know how to pick one up, and thanks Brettski.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]