I get a lot of water and the entire property save for the SE corner drains to that area. You can't see it on the topo, but about 30' above that north property line is a raised road bed for my neighbors drive which funnels all that water down towards the dam. What I actually have is a "u" shaped draw with both sides rising to about 12'-15' on either side. The dam will actually run due N/S and be about 240' long and the basin will extend 180' E/W at full pool. I have thought about the possibility though, of not getting enough water from run-off so I'm not planning on going very deep, 8' at the dam for about 50% of the bottom and the balance will be sloped. I'd like to be able to get a good draw-down in the winter for weed control and to concentrate the forage. I've done the math out of the 590 and I'm pretty sure I'm ok. We are planning on dropping another well just for the livestock/barn needs which I may tie into a waterfall type of aerator, just in case. I also still need to get the NRCS guys out when I'm home to get their opinion. I don't really have a choice, I either have a pond or I have a big wet mucky area that I can't do anything with...and I REALLY want one. You are right though, the position is my only option for placement at least for a watershed-pond. I have some pics on the camera which I'm going to post whenever my wife sends them. I'm going to start burning some of the slash off when I get home next month, it's been drying for almost a year, so hopefully I'll get a good burn out of it. The piles are about 15' high, 20' wide and about 50' long... I think about ten gallons of kerosene will get things going well.

Last edited by Asgrd Pndkper; 09/24/08 04:00 PM.

Eddie Aday
Asgard Farm
Home of Asgard Alpacas