Deb - I am from a town very similar in size to the one you describe. I assumed that you are kept very busy on the job and most of your posts have been on your own time. I know very well that this web site can consume a lot of time. Please take your time and to gather the appropriate information. I suspect there is not very much data going to be available or released; we will see.

A bream of 3 pounds is a big bream; even a two pounder is big by comparison to most of the larger sunfishes. (Q1) You say "We have ponds with GG weighing more," do you mean ponds owned by Ken? Are there photos and recorded ages of these fish at 3 lbs or 3+ lbs? (Q2) How long does it take for a GG in your location to get to 3 lbs? Annual growth increments to the 3 lb mark is what my growth questions are all about. The average life span of GG would be good to know. (Q3) Can you figure out from sales records how old "Bubba was?

(Q4) from above, "Additions of minnows to the initial stocking", are these minnows mosquito fish?

I am aware that sexual dimorphism is apparent in mature or very close to mature fish. By all means ask John about recognizing male vs female GG; (Q5)at what size does "maleism" show up, is it only seasonal (breeding) and how accurate can it be? The male pure bgill that some of us have been working with have to be definately older (around 7") before they can be distinguished with accuracy.

If data for growth rate information are not available maybe Ken will allow you to do a study in one of his small hatchery ponds; he should even encourage it! Heck if all ponds are being used, he could dig a new small 0.1 ac pond and put some GG in it for the study, then reuse the pond for other profitable things when study is finished. If you start with a 0.1 ac pond and divide it in half (2 replicates, 0.05ac) that means you would still add 150 GG (3000/ac) to each replicate. That is a lot of fish in a pond 47'x47'(0.05ac, 2209sqft area). OR, a new local customer may let you use their pond for the study, if Ken furnishes the fish for free. Which is a small price to pay for your efforts, the data and benefits that he will get from those initial "at cost" fish. Put your biology background, college education, and learning about scientific method to practical use. Collect some data. The data would be very useful for future sales and promotions at the hatchery.

If hatchery pond space is limited, I don't think you would need any controls or replicates and you wouldn't have to raise other fish for comparison purposes. There are lots of published growth data available for pure bgill and "normal BG hybrids" for you to compare your GG growth results with. The study may even be publishable in an aquaculture newsletter, magazine or secondary journal. Aquaculture people would be very interestd in your results. I will gladly review and edit the final draft of a paper authored by you.

I would think Ken would be very positive for a study like this to occur. Labor would be basically free and "big" numerous long term benefits could result for him. He could even sell the adult fish when the study is finished. I am surprised he or someone else has not already done a study like this. Plus it would give you some good experience if you go back to grad school. There are numerous positives to this idea.

I look forward to whatever else you can provide about the above questions and the GG annual growth rates / life span info.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management