Originally Posted By: jdfish
Has anyone used bacteria pellets to control filamentous algae and bottom sludge.
Thanks,
jdfish

I hope that Bill Cody weighs in on this.

He did a very interesting presentation at the Pond Boss conference in which he tested the effectiveness of bacteria pellets against bottom sledge. The bottom line (here I go again with accounting terms) is that the pellets resulted in almost no improvement versus an untreated control area. The best treatment was a frequent raking of the bottom sediment. I don't recall if he tested the pellets against FA.

I sure would like to see a scientific test (much like Bill did with an untreated control area) of all of the bacteria additives. I think most of us (myself, and 11 of my other personalities included) would like a non-chemical solution whenever possible.

Oh and Shawn, my intent is not to dispute your experiences or in any way question your results. I realize that you are one of the forum experts and this keyboard monkey is certainly not questioning your competence, all you need to do is read a few of my posts and you will see that I can easily be discredited and labeled a quack.

From my recollection, Bill specifically tested the pellets (unless I have had a complete memory lapse which is as likely as anything) against bottom sledge and found that the were ineffective.

But once again let us see if Bill will discuss this issue.

Paging Bill Cody

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)