jdfish,

The use of bacterial products seemed like "snake-oil" to me, but I started using it last year on a few ponds. One pond in particular is a 4 acre lake that had a history of terrible algae algae problems, both blue-greens and filamentous. In fact, when I was first called to the site, the pond was about 85% covered with a species of algae called Pithophora- a pretty hard to kill species. We were able to kill it using a variety of algaecides/herbicides and dyes for prevention but it always came back in a short time. We battled for two years using the chemicals. We were successful after each application but the frequency of application was increasing.

We then decided to try the bacterial products. The application rates for a 4 acre pond meant a lot of money, but we weren't really getting anywhere with the chemicals. I began to get concerned about long term impacts of the chemicals so we gave the bacteria a try. We started the program last spring (2007) in late March when the temps began to stay above 55 degrees. We applied the product as recommended and were successful all year long! Could it be a fluke? I don't know for sure but we're having the same success this year. Further, other ponds in the area with similar algae problems that are still getting the good 'ol copper blast continue to have the same problems. The home's association witht he 4 acre pond couldn't be happier, and I am their hero (until duckweed shows up!). Anyway, the pond has looked better than anyone can remember. I should mention that we are still using dyes. We continue to make routine treatments even though the lake looks great. For now, we're not going to fix what isn't broken, but I have to wonder if the amount of bacteria and the frequency of application can be adjusted to involve less product. Like I said, we're sticking with what is working. I've seen the pond in a condition where you could barely see the water so we're not willing to try experimenting with dosages.

I have told this story to other clients with much smaller ponds and they jumped on board and have been applying the stuff themselves. In each case, the use of chemicals was a frequent occurrence. So far, the additional 6 ponds that I know are getting the product are doing fine and their owners are happy. We use the dry bateria that are packaged in water soluble bags. I do know that one started to get naiad, so they applied some Sonar and all is good.

Now then, I have read from others on this forum that the results have not been so favorable. I do not know what application dosages and frequencies they were using.

Someone on this forum has been using Rid-X (septic tank cleaner) and I believe they were having success. This would be a much cheaper solution. I've talked to a lot of suppliers and mfg's of various bacterial products and they all have the best.....go figure. Some preach that theirs is a blend of both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria, their's has a better carrying medium (eg bran)than others, etc. I did want a product that had a blend of microorganisms that could survive either aerobically or anaerobically. Perhaps I folded to salesmanship, but it made sense to me.

The stuff we use looks like sawdust. I hope that it's more than that!!! Whatever it is, I've seen great results from it. For me to even try it, is saying something. I'm pretty cynical about most things. You probaby will never be able to sell me ocean-front property in Arizona if you catch my drift. We were desparate for results, did our homework and gave it the ol' college try. So far so good. I would probably have more experience with it, but it is pretty expensive when you consider a season-long treatment regime.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein