What a crazy evening of fishing. Maybe it was because it was the summer solstice this evening

I went down to the pond to get some bluegill for tomorrow evening. First cast -- with a bobber and worm suspended about 12 inches below -- and a bass grabs the bobber as soon as it hit the water. That's happened before, but this time it kept going, and it was taking line on my little 4 lb. test ultra-light. As I got it in close to shore, I noticed that I was pulling the bass in backward. The hook was caught in its tail. The bass came in for dinner -- 18 inches and just over three pounds.

On the next cast, the bobber again disappeared immediately. It was a fighter. From the white belly that flashed now and then, I thought it was a catfish. It was a trout! I guess my pond has some cool spots that I don't know about.

Third cast, and the bobber again disappears immediately. Again, from the pull, I thought I probably had a medium size catfish. This time is was a really thick 11-inch male bluegill. He went back in as fast as I could get him off the hook.

Fishing went back to normal after that. I did get enough bluegill for tomorrow evening.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!