Thanks for the info about bees mrgrackle, I'll be sure to mention it to prospective BioPod customers.

I've noticed something interesting about the way BSFL react to bananas. They love the fruit but they ignore the peels. Since they're able to chew up small fish bones I originally assumed they would eat the peels. I've come to the conclusion that there must be some type of repellent property to banana peels. That would make sense if you're a banana in a part of the world with a huge insect population I guess.

It's been almost two weeks since I put out the BSF bait boxes and as of today I have a good start on a BSFL colony. For the past several days I've left the 4 bait boxes in my old BSF container and there have been a good number of adults laying eggs there. Today I removed the boxes and other cardboard and put them in a closed container. There are a lot of eggs on the boxes and I will collect them as they hatch and add them to the main colony. Here's a video showing the larvae under one of the four boxes taken this morning: VIDEO

There are still some house flies coming into the scraps, but as the BSFL colony grows the other flies will be almost entirely absent.

I experimented with putting corrugated cardboard around the food scraps to see if I could entice the BSF to lay their eggs on it. I did have some success, but it seems that they laid eggs just about everywhere. They do prefer narrow spaces between objects, and when that situation is present they seem to concentrate their eggs in one place. Otherwise they spread them all over a surface.